http://www.amsc.com/products/applicatio ... eline.html
Superconductor Electricity Pipelines combine conventional underground pipeline construction techniques with revolutionary, high capacity superconductor cables and proven multi-terminal DC-AC power electronic converters. The result is a high-capacity, long-haul electric transmission “pipeline” that:
* Delivers Gigawatts of Green Power to Market: Capable of carrying wind, solar, geothermal and hydro power from multiple sites to multiple cities.
* Resolves Difficult Siting Problems: Conventional overhead transmission lines require new corridors hundreds of feet wide. The time-consuming and potentially litigious process involved to site these lines is a significant roadblock to developing new renewable power in the U.S. Superconductor Electricity Pipelines can carry thousands of megawatts (many gigawatts) of power in a 25-foot-wide corridor and can be placed in existing railroad and highway rights of way.
* Improves Aesthetics: Conventional high voltage towers are more than 100 feet tall and can significantly impact the aesthetics of neighborhoods, national parks and sensitive wildlife areas. Superconductor Electricity Pipelines are out of sight and out of mind. Unlike overhead power lines, they also are free from electromagnetic fields.
* Increases Security: Ice storms, hurricanes, tornadoes and terrorism are just a few of the threats to overhead power lines. Given their underground location, Superconductor Electricity Pipelines are out of harm’s way.
* Enhances Efficiency: Superconductor Electricity Pipelines are able to cut power losses by two to three times when compared with conventional transmission options. This results in improved return-on-investment and reduced carbon emissions.
* Simplifies Cost Allocation: Cost sharing for new AC transmission lines is a significant challenge due to the difficulty in determining the benefit each affected electric utility receives. The power supplied to and delivered from Superconductor Electricity Pipeline DC-AC on- and off-ramps enables much simpler cost allocation.
* Is Cost Competitive: When looking at the thousand-mile, multi-gigawatt transmission runs required to transport renewable energy from America’s heartlands to its cities, Superconductor Electricity Pipelines are comparable in cost to 765 kV AC overhead transmission lines.
Contact us! For more information regarding Superconductor Electricity Pipelines, please contact us at email@example.com